My fizzy bath salt recipe
Fizzy bath salts look impressive, but are actually really easy to make. I'm going to teach you a simple fizzy bath salt recipe, and then give you three of my favorite variations on it.
The fizz in fizzy bath salts (and bath bombs) is down to two ingredients: an acid (citric acid) and an alkali (baking soda). When they're sitting in the jar, they're both in a dry powder form, so they don't react, but as soon as they hit bathwater they dissolve and can react. That chemical reaction creates the fizz. Simple, eh?
Basic fizzy bath salt recipe
To make your fizzy bath salts, you need:
- 4 cups of salt. That can be any kind of salt you like – epsom salt, sea salt, etc, or a mixture of them.
- 2 cups baking soda. That's baking soda, which is pure bicarbonate of soda – not baking powder, which has other stuff in.
- 1 cup citric acid.
- 40-50 drops of essential oil. Any mixture of essential oils you like.
- 10-20 drops of color. Skin-safe / cosmetic grade soap colorant.
What to do:
- Mix up your salts first in a bowl.
- Next, add the baking soda, and mix that in with the salts.
- Now mix in the essential oils and mix them in well to get rid of any lumps.
- Add the food coloring. A little goes a long way, so it's best to start with just a little – it's easy to add more if you want a stronger color.
- Last, add the citric acid.
- Give the whole thing a really good mix, then pour it into waterproof jars. It's important not to let water get at your new fizzy bath salts, because that will start the fizzing before you want it!
Ideas for fizzy bath salts
Here are some ideas for fragrance and color:
Refreshing fizzy bath salt recipe
The fizz lends itself well to an energizing citrus blend. Try 10 drops each of lemon, orange, bergamot and rosemary essential oils. Make half the mix yellow and half orange, then layer in the jars to form orange and yellow stripes.
Breathe easy fizzy bath salt recipe
Great when you have a cold – or just if you need a little pick-me-up. 10 drops of eucalyptus, 10 drops of peppermint, 8 drops each of orange, grapefruit and rosemary.
Luxury fizzy bath salt recipe
This is a really delicious and luxurious chocolatey blend. Use half vanilla essence and half skin-safe chocolate fragrance oil – or for real luxury, replace the chocolate fragrance oil with Cocoa Absolute, which is a little expensive, but so yummy. If you like, divide the salts in two and make half with vanilla, uncolored, and half with Cocoa Absolute, colored brown, and layer in stripes. Then let the fragrances blend in the tub.